Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thoughts on Prayer

by Nancy Spencer

Every church is in need of prayer, and especially ours during this transition time. We really want our prayers to reach God. There are many Bible verses that teach us how to be an effective prayer warrior. The verse I want to quote here is James 5:16. "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."

According to this verse, I must be righteous if my prayer is to have much of an effect. So I need to know if I am righteous. Does being righteous mean I must never have sinned, never have said anything bad, or have done good deeds constantly? No. It means I've accepted Jesus into my heart and asked Him to be my righteousness. (See Corinthians 5:21). Because of Jesus's fantastic love for me, He gave His life for me. I am righteous if I believe Jesus is my Savior. Then I can pray effectively and fervently.

My testimony is that prayer has made all the difference in the world in my life. I had a mother who prayed for me all her life, and I now miss her prayers. So I encourage all parents and grandparents to pray regularly for your children. It will make a difference. God cares that we talk to Him regularly. Not only in asking, but in expressing our cares and concerns to Him, and to thank and praise Him. God has a way of comforting us, of giving peace, and often giving a solution to a specific problem. Through prayer, I have found God to be a wonderful, caring God who loves even me.

I like this quote by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale: "Prayer doesn't always change things for you, but it always changes you for things." Think on that.

Someone else said, "Prayer is getting you ready to do God's will."

I challenge us all at Batesville Presbyterian Church to pray effectively and fervently and daily for our church, for ourselves, for all who are in our circle of influences, for our world. It will make a difference. The Bible says it will "avail much."

No comments: